Thomas Jefferson developed his view that “all men are created equal” from the perception of the infinity within each of us, which he learned from the Scottish philosophers, Reid and Hutcheson. (It was also from Hutcheson that Jefferson got his idea of “unalienable rights,” which Congress in the interest of stylistic elegance altered to “inalienable rights.”) The Scottish Enlightenment, like the French and English Enlightenment, was the beginning of the materialization and manifestation of the Judeo-Christian vision of the Heavenly City.
It was also this 18th Century Illuminati circle which introduced the concept of progress— the conscious formulation of the symbolism of Prometheus. This vision has been under so much attack in recent decades that to defend it all will seem archaic and eccentric to many readers.
Nonetheless, evolution is real: quantum jumps do occur throughout the biosphere and throughout human intellectual history. We are riding a mounting tidal wave of rising consciousness and expanding intelligence which is accelerating whether we like it or not.
By and large, most people– and especially most ruling elites– have not liked this acceleration factor. The migration of capital (i.e., ideas) Westward has been largely a flight from oppression, an escapist movement– as critics today describe Space as “escapist.” Everywhere, everywhen, the rulers of society have tried to put a brake on the third circuit, to decelerate the acceleration function, to establish limits on what was printable, discussable, even thinkable.
The Greek myth of Prometheus Bound– the Titan who brought Light to humanity and is eternally punished for it– is the synecdoche, the perfect symbol, of how the third circuit [reason] has been handled in most human societies.
Robert Anton Wilson, Prometheus Rising (1983)
A Mounting Tidal Wave Of Rising Consciousness And Expanding Intelligence
July 4, 2013 by Joseph P. O'Brien
Posted in Art, Fictional Non-Fiction, Language, Lit, Music, Non-Fiction, Psych | Tagged americana, Declaration Of Independence, Evolution, Franz Schubert, Illuminati, Independence Day, Jan Cossiers, Markus Werba, Mythology, philosophy, Prometheus, Prometheus Carrying Fire, Prometheus Rising, Robert Anton Wilson, Thomas Jefferson | Leave a Comment
Joseph P. O’Brien
- 9/11 30 Rock 1999 advertising Alison Brie americana American Beauty Barack Obama Billie Joe Armstrong Billy Joel Breaking Bad Captain Beefheart censorship Community Cormac McCarthy Dancin' Dames Danny Pudi David Lynch David O Russell dorothy parker Dreams Ernest Hemingway Evolution Fight Club FLAPPERHOUSE George Clooney George Lucas George Saunders God Green Day Haruki Murakami Herman Melville HP Lovecraft In Memoriam Ishmael Reed Jay Johnston Jeff Laughlin John Steinbeck Jorge Luis Borges Jude Law Kurt Vonnegut LOST Louis CK Mad Men Martin Scorsese memory Moby-Dick Mr Show Mythology Orson Welles Parks And Recreation Philip K Dick Philip Seymour Hoffman Politics Pulp Fiction Quentin Tarantino Ramones Rene Magritte Robert Anton Wilson Roger Ebert Salvador Dali Schizopolis short fiction Spike Jonze Stanley Kubrick Stephen King Steven Soderbergh The Matrix Thomas Pynchon Three Kings Time Truth Vincent Van Gogh Walking Dead Werner Herzog
- Please pardon my name-dropping, but I just have to say how delightful it is to speak with Wendy the Snapple Lady. 4 days ago
- RT @FLAPPERHOUSE: Please read Sam Farahmand of @drDOCTORdrDR's A+ review of @milajaroniec's PLASTIC VODKA BOTTLE SLEEPOVER up at PANK: http… 5 days ago
- So honored & delighted to have my very own original portrait drawn by the multi-talented @stuwatson https://t.co/gxmTKV9OeO 6 days ago
- RT @FLAPPERHOUSE: FLAPPERHOUSE Reading #14 / Issue 13 Flight Party flapperhouse.com/2017/03/19/fla… https://t.co/r6ZuqcNlKp 1 week ago
- RT @FLAPPERHOUSE: It's out there... flapperhouse.com/zine/13-spring… https://t.co/dwCAJJBEED 1 week ago